Monday, May 10, 2010

It Was the Darndest Thing

It was two years ago that I was finally at a point in life that I was happy. One hundred percent, doing what I felt in my heart was right, perfectly content in the thought of living with my roommate for the rest of my life (even after she'd married).

(personal photo)
And then, it was the darndest thing. This boy came out of absolutely nowhere and pretty much stole my heart.

I was three months out of a long term relationship that hadn't exactly gone bad persay, more like I had built up to be something that I thought I could settle for in the end, all the while knowing settling wasn't where I wanted to be in thirty years. Eventually, my life started to veer one way while his stayed on the path it'd always been on and I knew things just weren't going to work.

My best friend/roomie from college, Emily, told me one day after the New Year that some of her husband Kent's (who actually introduced she and I- and will be the first to tell someone that I "was my friend first!") co-workers were going to start running a few days a week. I suggested that she and I start walking on those same nights and suddenly I had a workout plan (please don't ask about how that turned out).

The first night out, I was hanging out in their living room when one of the guys entered wearing a hoodie from my alma mater and a familiar face. I made some comment (witty I'm sure) about how we matched (I was sporting Gtown apparel as well), which led to a brief conversation about attending the same college and then we were off to perform our respective exercises. Later on in the evening I was able to ask him a few more questions about when he'd been at the college and what he did and such, and when I got home I was still thinking about him.

Luckily for me, I was feeling a bit more forward than usual and decided to make a move...

No comments: