Thursday, May 27, 2010

An Open Letter

Dear Martha Stewart,
I have been eyeing the lovliness that is your tissue paper pomanders and luminaries for at least a month now. I just can't get over how something so simple brings such happiness into a room. Use some bright colors, hang from high ceilings and you've got a magical feel that never fails to make me smile.


(source)

I've been thinking of using these tissue paper creations for my own wedding after seeing so many great detail shots of them from others' events. Although my venue has a ceiling too high to string these pretties from the top, I have been tossing around the idea of using the napkin rings as something to spruce up our favors.

Being the adventureous (and frugal) crafter that I am, I've been saving the tissue paper used in gifts given to me for a few months now so that I would have some "scraps" to play around with. Last night, I decided it was as good a time as any to give this easy project a whirl. And all I have to say Ms. Stewart, is well played ma'am. Well played.


(personal photo)


This, well, this defintely not a pretty dahlia looking tissue pomander is what I ended up with after my accordian folds and poofing. Granted, it was my first try, but upon watching several how-to videos on youtube, I was slightly miffed at how everyone was telling me just how "easy!" these things were. Of course they're easy for them, they're professionals or something. Maybe they can work magic. Cause I did the exact same steps as they had and mine turned out looking like poop while theirs were just like yours Martha.

As one who never gives up (well, as one who is determined come hell or high water that she WILL make these work), I sat down after my shower this morning, fresh for the day, and tried a smaller version. Surprisingly, it looked more like what it was supposed to and my morning was not ruined. I think with a little more practice and a few added sheets of tissue paper, I'll be poofing these babies out like a little flower factory.

If I can only stop ripping the paper...

Sincerely,

Shana

No comments: