Thursday, June 17, 2010

It's Gonna Cost What?

When Justin and I sat down at the end of last year to discuss all things marriage, there were 2 items at the top of the list: timeframe and budget. And as money (or rather access to it) usually dictates the timeframe, we knocked out two birds with one stone; while a late fall of 2010 wedding was preferred, financially we wouldn't be ready until spring 2011.

Being the nerdy accountant that I am (and just general lover of lists), I'd prepared a budget outline several months before Justin and my's meeting of the minds. I'd written down everything I could think of that we'd have to buy/rent/make/borrow and attached what I thought was a reasonable estimate. It was obvious that Justin wasn't as familiar with the costs of a wedding when I had to save my toes from his dropping jaw upon showing him the probable price tag.


We identified pretty early on the most important items on our list- for Justin it was food (and that we have an open bar) and for me, it was photography (I still giggle over the look on his face after I told him how much I'd alloted for a photographer, poor boy). Everything else had it's place, but these two came with certain expectations from each of us (and I'd like to think we did pretty well, but that's for later!).

As we'll be paying for most of the wedding/honeymoon ourselves (something that I felt very strongly about), we're working with a decent to us/smaller than most people's figure and it's my personal goal to come in under (even if it's just by $10). There's nothing out of the ordinary or extravegant on our list (I'm calling the affair "Simply Southern"). And both Justin and I are good with money (okay fine, I'm a little bit of a tightwad) so hopefully it'll be easy to keep on track.

How did you all decide on when you were going to get married and how much you were going to spend?

No comments: