Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It's Always the Little Things That Bring This Thing Home

There's a certain phenomenon that every bride-to-be experiences at some point or another during her engagement (and some on multiple occasions).  You're cruising along, just planning and crafting and making lists to your heart's desire, talking to others about how "Yes, I'm getting married...Oh, next year..." when BAM!  Out of the blue, you write a check/see an image/catch a glimpse of your future hubby and it just hits you:  I am getting married.  And it is next year.  Only six months actually.  Holy crap.  I'M GETTING MARRIED!

It's not exactly the first time the reality of it all has hit me.  Or the second to be completely honest.  But every time, it's the same combination of feelings- a rush of excitement, nervousness, and just overwhelming love for my boy.  Sometimes I liken the reaction to that of men while they're going through a pregnancy with their lady.  To women, it's real from day one, simply because your future child is inside you (and it's hard later on to separate yourself from the reality when there's a tiny foot in your ribcage and you have to pee every half hour because the little Peanut is sitting on your bladder).  But since the men aren't feeling everything the women are, sometimes it's just a glance at an ever-growing belly or walking past the open nursery door that startles them back into the realization that "this is happening." 

The culprit behind today's reality check?  The first mock up of mine and Justin's invitations.  Eeep!  Who knew that seeing a first draft would make me go all sentimental?  MOH Flo, with all of her amazing talents, agreed to design our invitation suite, along with our programs (and maybe our drink menus, although I swear I didn't have to twist her arm).  And really by design, I mean take my spattering of ideas and put them together beautifully on a piece of paper.  When I opened the file, I was floored.  She pretty much hit the nail on the head the first time around.  And then I was floored again.  Because those were my wedding invitations.  That was my name next to Justin's.  Wow.  This is really happening in six months.  And I smiled. 

Of course I'm going to be mean and make you all wait to see the finished product, but I will tell you this- it's gonna be amazing :)

No comments: