Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Rock n Rollers- Engagement Pics, Part 3

After cooling down and laughing a bit about our run in with the British man, it was time for the last shots of the night.  The cool shots.  The car shots.

Justin is a car man.  Loves horsepower, V8 engines and growling cams/exhausts.  Before I met him, I had an appreciation for muscle cars, but never imagined that I'd ever be immersed in the world where they lived.  Or drive one.  Fast forward to a little over a year of dating when I decided that what better time to trade up for something a little more fun to drive?  You know, before marriage and kids that you can't get in and out of a Coupe car (at least not easily).  In May of last year I ended up trading in my Rav4 for my lovely: a 2005 Pontiac GTO.

Photo by Jesse Cosper

Justin owns a 2001 Camaro Z28 and traded his trusty Nissan truck in for a Trailblazer Super Sport last fall.  Needless to say, we have a driveway full of horsepower.

Photo by Jesse Cosper

Personal photo

So it was only natural when we first interviewed with Reggie that we asked if he'd had any experience in photographing cars.  Although he hadn't, he seemed very excited at the prospect, and during our later conversations about photo ideas, he kept bringing up wanting to try out some night time shots.  Justin and I weren't really sure what it would entail exactly, but we were up for some experimenting.  And I'm so glad that we did.






All car photos by Reggie Beehner unless otherwise noted

We set up shop in the very back of the overflow parking for Rupp Arena (Go Big Blue!).  For each shot, Reggie set the camera shutter to stay open for 30 seconds, and he used hand held flashes to coat us and the cars in light.  The lights in the background?  That's from Reggie using the flashes behind us.  Pretty cool, huh?  The catch was, as with any long shutter, we had to stand still so as to not blur the shot.  Standing with our arms crossed wasn't hard at all, but while taking the kissing shots, I would get the giggles about 15 seconds in and have to keep myself from just completely busting out.  Justin wasn't amused, lol. 

I was pretty amazed with the whole process.  Especially the fact that you can't see Reggie in any of the pictures because the only objects that show up in the frame are ones that have been lit up.  And we were beyond blown away when we finally got to see the end results.  There are 2 that will definitely be made into large prints to hang in the house.  And when I shared them with everyone on a local car forum we're members of and got so many "It's so cool that your girlfriend wanted to do shots with the cars."  *brushes shoulders off*  Yeah, I'm just that awesome :) 

We were so happy with Reggie's approach to photography, his personality, his attention to detail, the way he works with light.  And after seeing the results of the engagement shots, I cannot wait to see what he'll have for us to remember the wedding day by. 


No comments: