Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Day I "Officially" Said Yes

Two weeks ago today, I became an "official" bride-to-be. After 31 months of dating, 9 months of knowing we were definitely making this thing legal next year and 5 months of actually planning our wedding, Justin made an honest engaged couple out of us by surprising me with a gorgeous bauble that I already felt naked without merely days after receiving it.

At the beginning of the summer, Justin and I took a second trip out to look at rings. This time we visited a jewelry store, Rivards, that is owned by the family of a girl that Justin used to work with several years back. And I have nothing but good things to say about them. That day, the son, Brandon, helped us as we made our way through a lot of their in stock rings, nitpicking and deciding what each of us liked and didn't like about particular ones. After a bit of time, we walked away with two ring styles that we both kept going back to, both of which fit most of our wants list from our first trip out about six months prior. And my ring size- a whopping 3.25. Yep, apparently I have freakishly small fingers on my left hand, lol.

Fast forward a few months, to September 8th more specifically, when Justin declared that the day was too awesome outside to not do something after we got home from work. I suggested hiking or wine tasting (I was still on a wine kick after only being home from my MOH's Napa Valley wedding three days before) and Justin picked hiking. We'd hiked up to the Natural Bridge a few months before and since it was his first time to go, we'd talked about returning to try some of the other trails around the park. A backpack with water and the camera was packed by the time I made it home and we set off just like we would any other day. Except this one was going to be special and I had no idea.


Justin and I finally made it up to the Bridge after taking a detour to "see" what the Needle's Eye Stairway was and having to stop for about five minutes after climbing the stairs that were basically up the side of a cliff (I never said we had to go up them, only that I wanted to see them). We were alone, the sun was starting to set and I was just soaking nature in. When I asked Justin if I could have some water, I had my back to him, so I could only hear him rustling around in the backpack. He piped up a few seconds later with "I've got something else for you too" and when I turned around, there he was down on one knee with the ring box open and a big smile on his face. I'm pretty sure my initial reaction was "Are you serious?" and then after he asked if I'd marry him, I said "Well of course!" I think he finally had to push me away from hugging and kissing him to actually put the ring on my finger and my next question was "Is it going to fit?" and his response was "I sure hope so." No worries, it fits perfectly :)

Our first picture after the proposal

Turns out, Justin had had the ring for about six weeks, and although several people knew about it (including my mom and dad!), no one had seen it. Nor had he told anyone when he was going to pop the question since he was just waiting it out til the right time.

No nervousness (though I guess he already knew what the answer was going to be, lol), no acting suspicious, he really pulled one over on me, that's for sure. And now we've got a great story to go along with it!

No comments: