Wednesday, September 29, 2010

To Feed a Wedding

So, the boy and I like to eat. I mean, who doesn't? We were both brought up as meat and potatoes kind of people and there's nothing better than sitting down to a home cooked meal at the end of the day.

(Personal photo)

When we first started discussing a budget for our big day, Justin's priority list was topped by food and open bar. I agreed that good food was also in my top three, so I began my quest for an awesome meal at the right price where all of my research starts: Google.

Lexington provided several catering companies that caught my eye initially. A few even more in particular when I saw that they offered the option for the hosts to provide their own alcohol for the open bar (making it much, much cheaper on us). Unfortunately, either the overall price per person just wasn't where I wanted it to be for what I'd written into my budget (because we all know you can't go over those budget amounts, right? :rollseyes:). And the food itself, while it all sounded absolutely delicious, just wasn't quite the style I had in mind for our day.

During my constant Internet trolling for the perfect combination of food offerings and cost, I would occassionally joke with Justin about having BBQ as our meal, we'd talk about how good it would be, and then we'd resign to the fact that it would just be too messy. How cool would it be if we could hire one of those companies that brings in the huge smokers/grills and have fresh meat? Or a pig roast? All great ideas, but I just don't think the Distillery would approve.

Then one day while we were joking around about the BBQ idea, Justin said "Well, why can't we?" And it's like a little light bulb went off and I said "Yeah, why can't we?" Yet another one of those things that dance right in front of you for the longest time before you reach out to grab it and make it yours. It was decided pretty much in that moment that we would indeed be serving BBQ at our wedding reception and the people would like it by George!


 
The more I've thought about it, the more fitting it all seems. Pulled pork, beef brisket and BBQ chicken with down home sides like mac 'n cheese and potato salad, topped off with some cold lemonade and sweet tea, all eaten off of paper plates with plastic utensils. That's country dining at its best right there folks. I didn't care anymore about what people would think about us not having real plates, or real forks, or real glasses for that matter (especially since we'd have to rent all of thee above and then someone, i.e. our mothers, would have to be responsible for gathering all of them up at the end of the night to clean and return).

We'll definitely provide plenty of napkins though :)

No comments: