Friday, September 24, 2010

The Great Church Search

With our reception location now in hand (so to speak anyway), Justin and I set out to find the ceremony venue. To save some time (and possible whining on my part), we ran across the same things in Frankfort as we had in Lexington as far as space, cost and indoor vs. outdoor offerings were concerned. After phone calls with The Kentucky Historial Society, Equus Run Winery (where I tried to play the 'the future in-laws are members' card), and a few hotels around town, I told Justin that it was time to start considering a church wedding.

Before I go any further, I must clarify that neither Justin or I are against getting married in a church as we were both raised by Christian families. But, as it sometimes goes, as we got older, got jobs, went off to college, our Sunday attendance went by the wayside. So in my mind, it was never a must that I be married in a church (although it would make my mamaw a happy lady), which is partly why I was mainly searching for other venues for the festivities. However, life came full circle once again and there we were looking for a church that fit us.

I'll admit that I felt slightly bad for "scouting" churches to use for the ceremony considering we weren't members at any of them. Even moreso after I started looking at their websites for pictures of the actual building first before calling. I'm sure that Justin and I aren't the only ones out there who have done that before though (at least that's what I keep telling myself). I found several around Frankfort and Midway that seemed they might fit our needs, so I spent a few afternoons making cold calls asking if the church allowed non-members to use the sanctuary for wedding ceremonies. I ended up with a few yes's, a few "we're too small"s and one "We're not a wedding chapel you know." Fortunately, one of the "we're too small"s suggested a Christian church right off the Interstate, which brought our total number of possibilities to 3. 3 was good.

The Sunday I arranged to meet with someone at each church, it was absolutely pouring. Justin didn't want to get out and drive, but I made it pretty clear that I would continue to drive him crazy with my stressing out if we just didn't go ahead and do this (I assume I can be pretty persuasive sometimes). The first stop was at the Christian church that had been suggested, which turned out to be beautiful. They'd recently added on a new addition to the building and had a basically brand new sanctuary. The associate pastor was very nice and we left feeling pretty good. Turns out the other two meetings were busts, one church was already locked up after their service and the other the lady I'd talked to never showed up.

As we were driving home, I told Justin that we should keep looking just in case. And then the more I thought about it, the more I hated my tendency for the "just in case" situations. We'd found a place that was more than enough for what we needed and offered some bonuses over others (i.e., a covered area of the parking lot in the front that cars could pull underneath to let people in and out should it be raining). So I pulled the trigger and told Justin that if he was good, I was good. I really just wanted to be able to check it off the list. We put the deposit down the next day :)

Capital City Christian Church


View from the back of the sanctuary


We'll be roping the side sections off so everyone sits in the center



Can you tell there was a wedding scheduled for the day we were there?


The view from the stage

I think that it's bright (well, not in my pictures, but in real life), it's spacey and we can have a slideshow! Yes, I get excited over the little things :)

No comments: