Thursday, October 28, 2010

Country In the City: Engagement Pics, Part 1

Justin and I are both country born and raised. Although I must say I consider myself a little more country overall than he is (but don't tell him I said that). So it was only natural that when considering locations for our engagement session with Reggie, a country scene was at the top of the list. So we started thinking about places around the city that were, well, not the city. Lexington and the surrounding counties are known for large, beautiful horse farms, but we were steering in the direction of something a little more quaint. Enter our backyard.

Okay, it's not exactly our backyard, but it is at the end of the road we live off of. Earlier in the summer, the farm located there was split in two by that road in order for a new medical park to be built. Apparently some decisions were made after the fact to not build anything (at least at this time), so the road was just opened as a sort of shortcut. To the right, there was a field with the tall silo and round bales of hay. I had my eye on that spot for months. Friends of a friend said it belonged to the city, so go ahead and tromp around a bit for pictures (basically until someone may ask us to leave the premise). Well, two weeks before our scheduled pictures, the city came and put up a fence around the property. Peachy.

After licking my wounds, Justin and I started taking drives around the outskirts of the county looking for anything that remotely resembled what I had in my head. And then we rediscovered Kelley Farms. Famous for their 10 acre corn mazes in different designs every year (this is their 4th), Justin and I discovered them last fall but were unable to make it out. Once this fall started getting closer, we kept an eye out for opening day. I happened to drive by one day just to take a peek and knew that this was where we had to be. Plank fences with foddershocks on the posts, round bales of hay everywhere, corn fields (I mean, it is a corn maze after all) and a barn. And not just any barn, an old barn with lots of character. After a few emails and an actual visit to talk with the manager's mother, we met up with Reggie one Friday night and, well, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves (for the full effect, click on the images to make larger).










All photos by Reggie Beehner

Stay tuned for part 2!

No comments: