Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Did Someone Say Cake?

Justin loves me (yay!).  And he's happy to be marrying me.  In general, his opinions on wedding matters are few and far between.  However, there have been a few instances where my assumption of his non-opinion has been blown out of the water (wedding color palette anyone?).  The most surprising thus far?  The cake.  Or at that point, the lack thereof.

Valentine's Day 2009.  And yep, that's a heart made of  Red Velvet cupcakes (personal photo)

Justin loves cake.  And anything to do with cakes (I've recently gotten him on board with Cake Pops, but that's another story).  So when I expressed my thoughts of having wedding cupcakes instead of wedding cake, I found myself a little taken aback to hear him say no.  "But you love cupcakes!" I remember saying to him.  Since he'd squashed my idea so quickly, I may have put up a small fight until he gave me a viable reason.  "Because cupcakes make me the think birthday parties, not weddings."  Fair enough.

Case in point: me with my birthday cupcakes this year (personal photo)

So back to the drawing board I went, determined that we weren't going to settle for just a traditional wedding cake.  While planning our budget, I had decided on cupcakes not only for their general cuteness, and uniqueness, but also for their DIY qualities.  We could save a bundle by making our own for the guests and just having a small cake made for us to cut. 

After another evening of perusing the usual wedding blogs, it hit me.  Candy buffets were becoming a big hit with newlyweds-to-be, so what it we tweaked the concept and had, wait for it... a CAKE buffet?  I mentioned the idea to Justin (okay, I may have ran excitedly to the bedroom where he was putting up clothes, but whatever) and held my breath when he paused.  "Well, I like cake.  And I like buffets.  So sounds good to me."  Score!

Armed with our new cake buffet plan, I started scouring for inspiration pictures and stories.  Stay tuned to see what I found!


No comments: