Friday, October 8, 2010

Let the Dreams Begin

I am a vivid dreamer. Most of the time my dreams are in color, are in depth and I can recount most of one the next morning when I wake up. For that matter, sometimes I end up doing silly things in my sleep (it's just gotten worse with age). It seems that my triggers for more intense dreams are running on empty, lots going on at work and/or stressful situations in every day life. Like wedding planning.

It came as a surprise to me that my first wedding related "nightmares" started happening 10 months before the big day. I've read the stories of all the horrific happenings in dreams recounted by numerous brides, but they always seemed to be a little closer to the wire than what I was at that point.

My first dream occurred while I was searching for my wedding dress. It was a pretty stressful month for me trying to find a dress (that's a story for another time though) and I remember having dreams several nights in a row involving the wedding. One in which I realized about an hour before the ceremony that we hadn't had a rehearsal the night before so no one knew what they were supposed to do. I borrowed a long jacket from one of the bridesmaids to cover up my dress in order to go upstairs and hunt down the rest of the wedding party to pass along instructions. Turns out I had no idea who the groomsmen were and I never did make it back downstairs to my girls. In the second dream, it hit me that it was the night before the wedding and we had forgotten to send out invitations. I was making lists of the guests for family members to call the next day (as it was already almost midnight) to beg people to ditch already made plans and show up. Leave it to me.

The second wave of dreams started when we were in the multiple week hunt for bridesmaid dresses. If nothing else, my dreams don't make me a selfish bride, since I was just as concerned for the girls as I was for myself. So funny the things that trigger our imagination and subconscious.
Anyone else have wedding nightmares during the planning process?

No comments: