Wednesday, October 20, 2010

God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy

Thank you, Billy Currington, for summing life up so succinctly :)  Because yes sir, people are crazy.  And I may well fall into that category after the story I'm about to tell.  But I'll leave that up to you dear readers.

As I've said before, Justin and I had mid-May in mind when we first started planning.  Unfortunately, our reception venue was only available April 23rd, April 30th, and July forward.  Since I had originally wanted October of this year before discussing budgets (crazy to think that we'd have possibly been married right now if that had of worked out), there was no way we were waiting until July.  The 23rd is my dad's birthday and also serves as Easter weekend next year, so the 30th sort of picked itself.  And why does that make me crazy?  That gives me exactly 15 days after the end of tax season to tie up any loose ends and put the finishing touches on our day.  Cue screams.

As an accountant, my life between the beginning of March and April 15th usually starts before dark, ends after dark and includes only an occasional meal with the boy.  Since we also work Saturdays, my twice monthly trips home to see the family are a little tough as well (my mom works Sundays).  Translated, we're trying to get as much as we can taken care of by the end of the year so I don't have to worry about much during tax season.  Sometimes it's easier said than done.

Throw in me currently studying for my CPA exam, the holidays, my need for DIY, etc., and you have the makings of a potential spontaneous combustion.  But I'm keeping cool and taking it all in stride.  At least until it's down to the wire and I'm having my usual problems with giving up control and delegating tasks.  Sigh.  Fortunately at this point, we've squared away most of the big decisions with vendors and locations (except for bartenders), so most everything that has to wait until those 15 days are DIY projects that shouldn't take a huge amount of time, but combined will take up several days.

I commend Justin for his concern while we were discussing the pros and cons of the 30th.  "Are you sure that's enough time?" he kept asking.  And I kept telling him yes.  With my MOH coming in early in the week, Justin's parents taking days off work and my mom being off on Friday's anyway, I think we'll have this thing in the bag, especially since several of the DIY projects have to wait until the end (I'll be talking about those soon-promise!).

Anyone else put themselves in a bit of a time crunch pickle when it came to picking out your date?

No comments: