Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Late Bloomer: Shoe Love

I am a self proclaimed tomboy, and pretty sure I always have been. My ability to style my own hair any other way than what I can do with a straightener is zilch, and it's only recently that I started watching some "How To" videos on Youtube in relation to makeup (thank you to this girl for helping me with my engagement pictures eye makeup). Now don't get me wrong, I love to get gussied up every once in a while for special occasions (and I figure I get excited because it doesn't happen very often). And I love feeling like I look pretty. It's just that most of the time (I mean, I definitely have my moments), I'm not quite into all the "girly" things in life like clothes and such.

Definitely feeling pretty here at my Flo's bachelorette party! (personal photo)

And then there's shoes. Those things that go on your feet that I could really care less about during the summer months (because flip flops and barefeet are where it's at when it's warm), but for some reason I am completely drawn to in the stores and online. Heels, boots, just every day kicks, I love them. And picturing myself in them, being the epitome of fashion for one split second (except for the fact I wouldn't really have the outfits necessary to make most of my choices appear to be in their natural habitat).

So what does this love of shoes have to do with my wedding? A reason to buy pretty shoes I normally wouldn't wear just to wear with my wedding dress you say? Why, by George, I think you've got it!

I've spent the past several years being an avid reader of Weddingbee, and if there's nothing else I've learned, it's that you get a free pass to splurge a little for the wedding day and buy a pair of knock out heels that you'll wear that day/night, and then put back into your closet as your special occasion go-to's. And in color. Yes, that's right. Color. And this girl has her heart set on something blue. Obviously it's one of our colors, it's one of my favorite colors ever (true story, both shirts I initially picked out for our engagement shoot were blue) and it would cover the "something blue" portion of the old saying. Unfortunately, there are a few stipulations. Go figure.

First, there's that splurging thing. I'm really only looking to spending around $30-40. So that cuts a lot of options out. Second, I wear somewhere between a 5.5 and 6, and my feet are narrow, so all of my dress shoes have to either be slide on summer heels, or have some sort of straps to hold them on. Third, my ankles hate me so I can't rock a stiletto. I think that may cover it all. Thus far, I've found one contender (albeit a smidge outside my budget and the heel height a bit questionable):


Meet Jeanette. The prettiest of the blues, with cute, girly bows that I think would go just perfect with my dress. And the ability to wear these cuties after-the-fact? Can't you just see them with a pair of jeans?

In the end, I have to wait until my dress arrives and it's time for the first fitting to really be able to shop for the shoe of my dreams. The star of the day (that'd be my dress, not me) comes with a custom hem from the designer, so we'll have to play around with the shoe height after she arrives.

Anyone else go against the grain and throw in a surprise splash of color underneath your dress?

No comments: