Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A DIY Love Story

I come from a pretty crafty family. Several of my great grandmothers quilted, as does my paternal mamaw and my mom, so I've had the bug since I was little. My mom was always into some sort of crafts project as well, so anything hands on and creative, I love (that could explain my love affair with Etsy). So blame it on the genes (and slightly on the frugalness of our budget) that once the wedding plans were put into motion I knew there would be a whole list of DIY elements. First on the list: Tissue Poms!


Martha Stewart made me fall in love with these things. I was browsing the website one day, ran across the poms and luminarias and knew that I had to incorporate them in my decor somehow. Not only were they simple to make, tissue paper comes pretty cheap :) Ideally, I wanted to use the large poms to hang from the ceiling at our reception location. Unfortunately, the tall ceilings would require a tall ladder and then my Mom and future MIL would be responsible for getting them all down at the end of the night. So I had to go to a backup plan.

Instead of the large poms, I'll be making smaller ones in royal blue and red to string on twine to use at the ceremony site to mark off sections of chairs that we don't want guests sitting in (it's a large church and we'll have more than enough seating in the center sections). I'm also planning on revamping the napkin holder idea that Martha suggests by using twine and tying off the favor bags with an individual blue pom (not only will it be adorable, it'll help give a pop of color to each table, all of which will have silver table covers). You can see a few of my first attempts at making the poms here and here.

Stay tuned for more crafty shenanigans (and complaints from Justin about how the wedding stuff is taking over the back bedroom).

1 comment:

Sara said...

they really are a beautiful addition to all of the empty space in a ceiling! I am sure it will look great