Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Man Behind the Lens

I left off with Justin and I having a very big decision to make concerning our photographer. After our meeting with Reggie, we went home and sat down for a little chat.

One of the great things about Justin is that he's never willing to settle when there are other options out there for us to find. He made sure to point out that both of these photographers, while completely qualified in both personality and skill would work, there was one little thing that they were both lacking- a second shooter. And as is was one of my "must have's", where did that leave them (and me) standing?

My main reason behind wanting two photographers was that it simply afforded more special (and candid) moments to be captured throughout the day. No one can be two places at once, let alone fourteen with as much as goes on before, during and after a wedding and I wanted to make sure that all the little bits and pieces got documented. With that said, I had to remind myself that we have so many friends who, while they're not professional photographers, love to drag the cameras out at events to catch the funny (and sentimental) happenings. Because of the number of those friends, in the end I was comfortable in having just one professional photographer, so long as they fit the rest of the criteria.

After some discussion, it was decided that Justin and I would go with Reggie. And as I told Pablo in my very hard to write rejection note, it was nothing against his talents and I would be sure to sing his praises to others whenever the opportunity presented itself ("Do re mi!"). Overall, with Reggie we felt a better connection in personalities, vision for the wedding day, number of images that we'd end up with, willingness to experiment in order to get "those" shots, and a free engagement session (can't pass up free if it's good!). His pricing fell at about the halfway range of what I had budgeted and for goodness sakes, the man ends up with images like these:


(all photos by Reggie Beehner http://www.beehnerphotography.com/)

I am beyond excited to see what Reggie does for us on our wedding day. We actually had the first part of our engagement shoot over the weekend (post to come soon) and I was nothing but reassured in our choice. Reggie made us laugh, he kept us moving and I could see all the wheels turning in his head when he would look around at our surroundings to see what we could do next. Can't wait til part 2!

2 comments:

Sara said...

His photos look awesome! I agree, photography was on the top of our priority list too. It is one of the only ways to capture all of the details and memories of the day.

Shana said...

Thanks so much Sara! I read where you all are going with a videographer as well- jealous! Justin isn't keen on being videod (nor photographed, but whatever, lol) and we've not been able to track down anyone here even remotely affordable for our budget. Fingers crossed we can have a friend capture moments from the day and another edit it together.